Thursday, October 15, 2009

the inevitably of mistakes

I heard somewhere that we need to embrace the inevitably of mistakes. That the only thing that we can count on is that we will make mistakes. The good thing about making mistakes is the learning that comes with them. As I go through the footage that I shot on Saturday my mistakes are glaring.
The first mistake that stands out is my choice to do a medium shot and a close up. I needed something inbetween the two. Also, I'm not 100 percent sure but I think that my medium(cowboy)shot is out of focus. The next mistake was my lack of direction with the second camera. I didn't explain to the second camera operator that zooming is not a good idea. The shots are SO "zoomy" that they are almost unusable. I also didn't communicate well enough with what I wanted from her. I wanted edgy shots of the food as it was being prepared. She gave me medium shots of the host with the light in the shot making it totally unusable.
I'm also concerned about the audio. There are several times when the host's hair brushes the microphone and a loud wind sound happens.
The shirt. Oh the shirt. The shirt that I love and looked great on Dages, made funny lines on the screen. Yep. It looks alive. I kind of remember hearing something way back when about stripes and video. Like don't wear stripes on video cause they look alive. I'm hoping that final cut pro can help me.

Next time I will need to be more in control of every detail. I wish that I had a better understanding of the camera. It's staring to click, but its a slow boat. I have learned more in the last month than I have in years, and my brain is freaking out. I also wish that I was better at math. I feel like if I understood math better I would understand the camera better. Next semester I'm taking a math class and maybe then it will sink in.
More mistakes as the reveal themselves....

1 comment:

  1. ugh. No zooming. That's the first thing I teach my video kids. As far as the lines, I think they probably wont look weird on a full size screen. yes they do say to avoid them - but they also tell you to avoid wearing white or black:) So I kinda ignore.
    As far as needing something in between medium and close up shots - I don't think you do. i just think you need to cut about 90% less than you think you do, and to use cut-aways between.

    xx
    H

    ReplyDelete